Preparing For the 9,000km Voyage to China


As we shook hands and said goodbye, my new friend said, "See you around"

I replied with, "Maybe not though- I'll be in China soon won't I?" 

"Yeah of course," he said, "Well, good luck!"

And he was off.



I can tell you that when I saw this particular gentleman two weeks later, at a party in west London, I was slightly sheepish that I was, in fact, still in the UK. After all- I had been so convinced that I'd be leaving speedily. 

By the third time we met, the embarrassment had worn off. I realised that I'd be here in England for a while and so I'd made peace with that fact.


East. Far East
Seven weeks ago today, my girlfriend Holly and I were offered fantastic jobs teaching in a kindergarten school in Southern China.

It was the first job offer we received since we began looking for TEFL jobs in Asia. However, it seemed perfect: sensible working hours, weekends off, a nice location, flights and accommodation covered.

Having asked some further questions about resources, classroom support and giving the offer a lot of thought, we accepted. 

I was really excited to go to China, a place I've never been before, and for such a long time (11 months). Apart from living for five weeks in beautiful Budapest and being enlightened on their money and language, I've not really lived abroad. As I've mused before, I don't count seasonal work as really living abroad as you are in the so called 'bubble'.

I'm at an age where I think I'll really be able to make the most of living in a different country. Hopefully, Holly and I will be able to throw ourselves in and experience the clichéd 'live like locals' side of a country. We shall see in the coming weeks ;)


Five weeks ago today, I was making my preparations for such a fantastic adventure. To make sure I was ready, I bought travel insurance, ordered a cute book on learning the basics of Chinese (where I got these pictures), got vaccinated and generally made sure that I was on top form to go.

Delving into the shed at my Dad's house, which is where most of my possessions are, I sorted through all the junk. After a day of clearing out, donating old clothes and organising, my case was packed.

Get me on a plane! 

Oh wait- I need a visa...


Three weeks ago today, we were still waiting on paperwork from China. Then we could apply for visas, then book a flight.

Three weeks wait for a visa
appointment? Disaster!
I naively thought that it would not take very long. I was wrong.

If you are in a situation where you've got to get a visa for somewhere just bear in mind that it can take a while, and that it will be frustrating to wait for!

One week ago today, there was success! Paperwork had made its way from China and the visa office in London awaited. When we arrived, we were told by the doorman that an appointment was needed, and that we would not be able to get one for three weeks. I knew that making an appointment would have been a good idea, but I had been unable to make one though lack of knowledge of when documents would turn up. This could be a problem. Or was it...?

Interestingly, the doorman did say that his 'associate' could help us out by doing it for us- and he didn't need an appointment to sort it. Was this a silver lining? I looked at the man outside and I was cynical.

We decided that giving our passports and lots of cash to a man hanging outside of an embassy would maybe only get us a 'Bad Decision of the Year' Awards. I didn't want that just yet.

Perhaps later in the year.

She handled the situation like a
wise master.
Thanks Holly!
Where I panicked and imagined not getting to our workplace until October, Holly remained level headed. She found out that the office in Manchester has a two day wait for an appointment. Holly made the long trips to Manchester to pick up the visas for us and we finally received them today.

The odd thing is that now that we have everything ready and flights booked for Monday, it does not feel very imminent at all.

I think I've spent so much time wishing for visas to produce themselves that living in a state of waiting has become normal. 

In no way am I apprehensive about the move- I'm pumped to do something that will be so new to me. Its just that the blissful realisation is just taking a little while to sink in.

After all, on Monday we will be crossing seven time zones and travelling over 9,500 km to a place where I don't speak the language, am generally clueless about the culture.


Looks like it will be an interesting 11 months...


Previous post: Being British
Acclaimed post: Winding Down From Winter


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whilst In Tokyo...

English Names In China

Sights From A Chinese Street