Kyoto Top Picks


Hi travelers, I have just returned form Japan and loved it. I will soon be penning some Tokyo tips, but for now, check out Kyoto!

The former capital city is well known for having temples and shrines everywhere. And they really are numerous! 


Whether you want to check out the top few or go on a total temple tour, my first tip is seeing them by cycling around the city. I hired a bike for 800 JPY (5 GBP/7 USD) that had to be returned by 11am the next day, so its very affordable.

Riding in Kyoto reminded me of wandering Rome in 2013 without a map, as both times my curiosity led me to great sights that I was not expecting to find. Kinkaku-ji is a very impressive golden temple and cost just 400 JPY (2.5 GBP/4 USD) to see. Other than that recommendation I'm going to talk about the non-temple attractions and other ways to absorb culture.

Its easy to stumble across great sights
that you weren't trying to find in Kyoto

These three can all be enjoyed in English:


Looking unthreatening in my socks..
Samurai Kembu Show



 Price: 3000 JPY (19 GBP/27 USD)





This was a spectacular show which demonstrated many sword dances of the Samurai. Its not a sword fighting display but the art of Kembu, the war preparation dances that samurai warriors used to get themselves pumped for battle.

Don’t be fooled by the calming words like 'art' or 'dance'- this show is very intense to watch and you will feel the power of the warriors during their performances. Battle dances are punctuated with information on samurai history and culture, as well as comparing them to ninjas and sneaking in a ninja performance too. After the show you’re invited to have pictures with the warriors and can also handle their samurai swords.



If I had had more time I would have returned to participate in one of the lessons available. Either in costume or without, you can learn to use the samurai sword yourself! Its more pricey than the show but I am sure it would be great- check the website.


The Japanese stove and other
unfamiliar tea-making utensils
Tea Ceremony

Price 2000 JPY (12 GBP/18 USD)



Just like Brits, Japanese are serious about tea. I don’t know much about the history of British tea making, other than that some people swear by the tea pot and that I‘m indifferent to it, but the tea ceremony I attended in Kyoto told me lots on how the Japanese do it.

Having enjoyed green tea at sushi restaurants in Tokyo, I was interested to know more about this green tea. The session involves a traditional kimono wearing lady demonstrating how to prepare tea, explaining why making tea correctly is important and then fixing your own green tea. Ring to make an appointment at En, though there are a few other tea houses in Kyoto to consider if you want to consult the Internet.




Craft and Dye Workshops

Price: Craft from 1950 JPY (12 GBP/17 USD),
Dye workshops from 1000 JPY


I did not manage to attend any of these but they would have been considered if I had more time. There are a variety of interesting traditional Japanese crafts to choose from and take home. I know that Japanese have been using plants to dye for trillions* of years and were among the first to use indigo dye, which is now used worldwide in denim jeans.

*actual length of time may be less

Other things to consider in Kyoto



Pontocho Alley
Price: Free



Food being prepared in a glass fronted kitchen in Pontocho.
It’s a tiny street lined with traditional shops and restaurants. There are no cars allowed (or bikes- so don’t ride down it!) as its so small and is beautiful in the evening. If you can find a restaurant with an English menu, you could stop for a (pricey) meal, or just enjoy wandering the little street. 

Keep your eyes open for Geishas scurrying to one of the high class clubs that exist on the street. I saw one which was an exciting but fleeting experience.


ChargesIf you are dining in Pontocho (or elsewhere possibly), you may be subjected to a seating charge. When I dined, I was duly informed of the 300 JPYpp charge but I’m not sure if its always so clear. The menu is also unlikely to include food consumption tax, so add 8% to whatever you see. Finally, service charge is usually added automatically to the bill, so bear all this in mind so you don’t get a shock.

A baby bonsai tree
Bike restrictions
As mentioned, there are a few areas which biked can't be ridden. These are small, so it should not affect your experience, and your bike rental shop should make you aware of them. Also watch where you park your bike as you can't park it anywhere. Again, ask the renter for more information on free places to park.


Botanical Gardens 
Price: 200 JPY (1.20 GBP/1.80USD)

Filled with cherry blossoming delights, bamboo shoots, lotus pond and a bonsai tree exhibit this garden is a Japanese staple. Even when I visited, in the winter it was worth going since the ticket was so cheap. In the summer I am sure its even more beautiful, so do check it out.


As a brief guide to Kyoto for 2-3 days you'll have plenty to do with all the temples, shrines and the activities I've mentioned. 

If you've been to Kyoto before and have any other suggestions, or if you found this guide useful, please let me know in the comments. Happy travelling!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whilst In Tokyo...

English Names In China

Sights From A Chinese Street