Tokyo Capsule Hotel


When I was a child I used to love looking through Guinness World Record books. My Dad would often get them as a stocking filler at Christmas, as I loved looking at all the amazing examples of nature; like the worlds tallest man, pointless achievements; balancing eggs on top of each other,  or random trivia; Jackie Chan has A LOT of pop hits in China.

I specifically remember a song title of his: "Big Happy Face" and thinking it was pretty silly. I also clearly recall a picture of a tiny box-room in Tokyo, which was the worlds smallest hotel room. For a period of time, I imagined that everyone in Japan lived in little capsules instead of houses... but then again I was probably on eight when I decided this.

Towels? Yes please
Ugly brown pyjamas?
Ok... I guess.
Now I do know that not every Japanese person lives in such little spaces. In fact, I did took the opportunity to stay in a capsule hotel in Tokyo on a recent trip to the land of the rising Sun. I wanted to know whether it would be enjoyable or a burden, as conventional hotels near the city centre can have wallet whacking prices, but inner-city capsules appeared more economical.


In the capsule

A single capsule in Tokyo Kiba Hotel cost 4,500 JPY a night (28 GBP or 41 USD). Its not super cheap, but for all the conveniences it offered, I’d say its good value. From the Kiba train station and the capsule hotel is just a few minutes walk. At check-in in I was given towels, slippers and pyjamas. All of these items were replaced each day. It was convenient not to worry about having them inside the little capsule- just chuck them in the laundry and know they will be replaced that evening.

As the lift doors opened I saw many capsules lined side by side, and in two rows, so that people on the top row had to hoist themselves up a few steps to reach their snooze cave. My capsule was on the lower row, but as I approached it, I was a little surprised to see that it had... no door.

What it did have was an opaque screen which could be pulled down, but you’re not really separate from the corridor. Thankfully, a locker is provided with each capsule- a necessity due to the limited size within the pods. With my belongings locked away I felt safe despite the lack of door.


A cosy space, but enough room for me to sleep comfortably.

''I thought there would be light and noise pollution when I saw there was no door. 
There was a bit of light but I hung my towel up to provide an extra screen. 
The noise was not too bad, apart from other peoples alarms going off in the morning. 
Actually, if there was a soundproof door, the whole thing would feel like a coffin.’’ 

Holly, Wakefield, UK.


There are a few essentials inside: a digital alarm clock, power sockets, a small shelf - even a little tv which (of course) shows exclusively Japanese channels. There was definitely enough room to sleep in, as I am 5’9’’ and that’s probably around average male height in Tokyo. If you are a particularly long human then you might not find there’s sufficient room. Ear plugs were an especially smart choice here since the opaque screen door does not provide any soundproofing.

So for sleeping I was fine, but I could not get changed in there very comfortably. That was not of any concern since there was a great bathroom that I would be changing in. 

A TV is probably not necessary, but the plug sockets and a
dimmer switch fort he light were appreciated

There’s an almost futuristic feeling when sleeping in the pod. I could imagine it inside the first Mars colony; comfy enough but mainly utilitarian. I get the idea that these capsules are used a lot for people on business as the hotels are well set up for people that are coming and going in the space of a night. As well as the no nonsense sleeping arrangement indicating this, the bathrooms were also very suitable for people who hadn’t brought a case full of essentials with them.

Bathroom
Everything you need is provided for you there which is nice. Body soap, shampoo, conditioner and even shaving foam is there for you to use.

For shower time, firstly grab your clothes from you locker, as you’ll be throwing the pyjamas in the designated bin. The Japanese showers which means everyones in there together. That’s not a shower style I’m used to, but once you realize that nobody cares, then you just get on with it and its fine.

Left: everyone is invited to shower time.
Right: but you're spoilt for amenities

After a shower I’d love to jump in the onsen which is the Japanese Jacuzzi. Following the trend, you go in there naked. At this point I’d wait until it was free as I didn’t fancy hopping in to the Jacuzzi with some other dudes.

The water was green but I am told this is normal.

After washing and drying, just chuck the towel in the designated bin and never worry about it again. Outside the shower room is a changing room which is lined with mirrors and sinks. There were hairdryers and lotions to use at your leisure- I didn’t really need to use any of these but was still impressed. Grooming on the go is taken are of at the capsule hotel.

As well as these delights, there were also toothbrushes with tiny tubes of paste inside, a washer/drier, massage chair, razor vending machine, beer vending machine and an iced water dispenser.

So much stuff.
I clearly loved it as I took so many photos of the bathroom...


I really enjoyed my six nights in a capsule, as not only was it a novelty experience, but it was also comfortable. If I were to go to Tokyo again on the same budget, I’d do it again. 


Summary of Tokyo Kiba Hotel
+
Decent location, very close to metro

Big bathrooms and changing rooms make up somewhat for small sleeping space.

Many amenities provided

Price- it was good when comparing other places to stay in similar location

-
 If you’re claustrophobic, this will be a living nightmare.

Not ideal for people over 6’2’’


Previous Post: English Names In China

Something else I wrote: Sights From A Chinese Street





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whilst In Tokyo...

English Names In China

Sights From A Chinese Street